As a student at Umeå University, you have the opportunity to apply for the Erasmus+ Scholarship for your traineeship in another European country. The scholarship is a grant for travel, accommodation and any other expenses associated with your traineeship.
If you want to do a traineeship abroad and apply for a scholarship you must find a suitable host organisation. To be granted a scholarship, you and your traineeship host have to fulfill certain requirements.
You cannot be granted an Erasmus+ scholarship if you, during your traineeship period, uphold another scholarship from EU or the Swedish Council for Higher Education.
As an applicant you must
- set up a Learning Agreement together with your host organisation and your departmental coordinator. (Your department will assess that the traineeship is compatible with your degree-related learning.)
- be registered as a full-time student at Umeå University at the time of your application (this is also applicable if you complete your traineeship after finishing your studies at Umeå University).
- pursue studies leading to a recongnized degree or other recognized tertiary level qualification, such as Bachelor, Master or Doctorate at Umeå University.
- carry out the whole duration of your traineeship with the same host organisation and live in the host country during the course of your traineeship.
- complete a language test previous to, and after completion of, the traineeship period.*
- submit a traineeship certificate, Erasmus attendance certificate and a final report.
- not receive any other grants from the EU or the Swedish Council for Higher Education at the same time.
Your traineeship must
- be full-time and comprise at least 60 days and no longer than 6 months (with possibility of extension up to one year if there is enough funding).
- take place at an approved organisation or enterprise** in any of the Erasmus+ Programme countries.***
- transfer as credits to your study programme at Umeå University, or be recognized in a Diploma Supplement (this does not apply for traineeships carried out by recent graduate students).
How to apply
First step is to fill out an online application form (the application includes a letter of motivation):Erasmus Traineeship application form
Within 10 days you will receive an e-mail invite to Umeå University's Cambro page for Erasmus Traineeship. When you have gained access to the page you will find more information about how to proceed to complete your application.
Your application must be complete no later than 30 days before you start your traineeship. It is therefore important that you submit your online application in good time, preferably two months prior to the traineeship start date.
Order of priority
A limited number of scholarships are available and are granted according to the principle "first come, first served" as long as there are still funds. You must therefore complete your application two weeks after you have gained access to Cambro at the latest. If there are more applicants than funds a selection is made based on the criteria stated in the document "Order of priority" under Related information.
Applications are processed regularly with exception for the month of July. If your application is appoved, a Grant Agreement (GA) will be set up between you and Umeå University.
Scholarship amount and payment
The scholarship amount is approximately 510–615 EUR per traineeship month. About 70 percent of the total amount will be paid out in the beginning of the traineeship period. The remaining funds is paid out after you have completed your traineeship and fulfilled the requirements stated under "Requirements and application".
The payments are made on the 25th of every month and are in accordance with the exchange rate that prevailed when the university received the funds.
If you choose to cancel your traineeship or if you do not fulfill the requirements you may have to pay back the full amount, or part, of your scholarship.
As an Erasmus trainee you are insured by Kammarkollegiets insurance Student UT. If your traineeship is transferred as credits to your study programme you will receive the insurance certificate from your study advisor or departmental coordinator.
If your traineeship is not transferred as credits you will receive your insurance certificate from the International Office by sending an e-mail to:
It is your responsibility to review your insurance coverage and assess your insurance needs.
You are required to complete a language test before and after your traineeship. The language test is done online in the language that will be your working language. Currently, the test is avaialble in the following languages: BG, CS, DA, DE, EL, EN, ES, FI, FR, HR, HU, IT, NL, PL, PT, RO, SK or SV.
The assessments are only indicative and will not impact your scholarship appplication. If you achieve B1 or lower on your first test you will be sent an invitation to an online language course.
Companies and organisations involved in economic activities in the public or private sectors are approved.
Organisations that are not approved to be host for trainee students from Sweden are:
- EU institutions and other bodies (see full list of EU institutions on the European Commission website).
- Organisations working with EU programmes (such as international secretariats at universities). This is to avoid possible conflicts of interest and/or double financing.
- Universities that are mainly financed by EU funds.
***Erasmus+ Programme countries (eligible countries for Erasmus+ traineeship)
- The 28 EU countries (except Sweden) as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway Turkey, Macedonia.
- "Outermost regions": Canary Islands, Madeira, the Azores, Mayotte, Martinique, Guadeloupe, French Guiana, Réunion, Saint-Martin and Saint-Barthelemy.
- EUs list of Overseas countries and territories:
Overseas countries and territories
Did you know that...
...you can study or do a traineeship within Erasmus+ for a total of 12 months for each bachelor, master and doctoral level.
...if you have a disability, you can be granted additional funds from the Erasmus+ programme to cover costs for special needs, such as transportation, adapted housing and preparatory sign language course. If you want more information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
...you can be granted an Erasmus+ scholarship for a traineeship that you are planning to carry out in another European country the year after your graduation. The application for the scholarship must be submitted during your final term, while you are still registered as a student at Umeå University. If you are granted the scholarship you have to apply for your degree before the your traineeship begins. Please note that in this case, you will not receive any credits or a note in the Diploma Supplement. You have to complete your traineeship within 12 months after graduation. If you have been issued your degree certificate you are no longer eligible for the scholarship.