Nederländerna/Netherlands Frankrike/France Australien/Australia Kanada/Canada Singapore Kanada/Canada

Exchange studies

As an exchange student, you spend a term or a full academic year at any of Umeå University’s partner universities around the world. You do not pay tuition fees to the host university and you can apply to have your credits transferred to your education

To study as an exchange student means that Umeå University has agreed to “exchange students” with a partner university and that the study results can be accredited at the home university. Consequently, you do not pay fees for your studies at the partner university and your total study period will not be longer than at normal study rate, provided that your courses abroad are accredited.

Where can I go?

Where you can go depends on what you study here at Umeå University. There are university-wide agreements that are open to almost all students and there are exchange agreements connected to a specific department, faculty or study programme.

 How do I apply?

There are different application procedures depending on which exchange agreement or programme you apply to go on exchange through. You must always make an application to Umeå University before you apply to the partner university.

  1. Make an application to Umeå University
    If you want to apply for departmental or faculty-based agreements you apply to your department or faculty. If you want to apply for university-wide agreement you submit your application to International Office.
  2. Apply to the host university
    If you are assigned an exchange place you need to make an application to the host university to receive a final decision.

Up until you are admitted by the host university you are referred to as nominated student. There is no guarantee that you will be accepted by the host university but it is very rare not to be admitted.

Pieces of advice!

  • Carefully consider where you want to go and why you want to go there, it will increase your chances of making a good application.

  • Contact your study counsellor or international contact person to learn which courses you should take while abroad to fit them into your study programme in terms of subject and study level.

  • Read up on the university you want to go to so you are sure there courses you want and can study.