Exchange studies outside Europe
You can go as an exchange student to a partner university outside Europe through the university-wide agreements, exchange programme north2north or via your department or faculty if they have agreements outside Europe.
If you want to apply for an exchange place through an agreement signed at your faculty or department, or if you want to apply for exchange studies in a low and middle income country via Linnaeus-Palme you need to contact your international contact person.
Study outside Europe through the University-wide agreements
The university-wide agreements are open to all students from all faculties with a few exceptions. You can apply if you study at undergraduate or graduate level.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible for an exchange place through the university-wide agreements you should:
- be registered at Umeå University at the time of your application or have an approved leave from studies during the year you apply.
- have completed at least 15 ECTS at Umeå University when you submit your application to the International Office.
- have completed at least 60 ECTS at Umeå University before departure.
- plan your exchange studies in consultation with your department so you can have your credits transferred to your study programme. Your application must also be signed by your study counsellor or programme coordinator
- have documented language skills in the language of instruction. For English,
the requirements are the equivalent of three years of study at upper secondary school with a minimum grade of VG (pass with credit) (upper secondary course A) or a language test (see the information below). For other languages (French and Spanish), a minimum grade of G (pass) is required (uppersecondary course B). From students without diploma from the Swedish uppersecondary school (high school) we need a copy of the proof of English
language knowledge you sent in when you applied for studies at Umeå
The application period opens in the beginning of October and the deadline to apply is 15 November every year.
You apply to go on exchange during the autumn term or spring term the following academic year (i.e. if you want to go the academic year 2018/2019 you must apply no later than 15 November 2017). You find more information about the application process under “Announcements”.