How to apply for support

Here you will find information about how to apply for support related to your learning situation. If you have questions or need help with your application, you are welcome to contact us.

Please note: You don´t need to apply for support for disabilities in order to get access to talking books. Contact the University Library for access to talking books.

When do I need to apply for pedagogical support?

Apply for support after you have been admitted and replied to your Notification of Selection Results for education at Umeå University. If you need help with filling in the application, please contact or visit Infocenter. You will find contact information to Infocenter under "Contact us" on this page.

Please note: 2 July to 3 August 2018, no applications for support for disabilities will be handled. If you need support for summer courses, you must apply for the support by 25 June in order for your application to be processed.

If you need adjustments that take time to prepare, you shall send in your application for support when you apply for education. This may be if you:

  • have severely impaired vision
  • need a sign language or writing interpreter, or transcribing
  • need adjustments of the premises

How do I apply?

Apply by filling in the application for support. You will reach it by clicking on the link, or on the Nais ad on this page.

Your application must include documents proving the disability. The certificate must be issued by a registered health professional, such as a doctor, psychologist, audiologist or a valid dyslexia investigator. The certificate shall include information on:

  • how long you have had the disability or had medical contact for your troubles,
  • the date of the investigation or medical contact,
  • how long the disability is expected to continue, and
  • a description of your disability and how it affects you.

The certifier is welcome to contact us if he or she is unsure of what must appear in the certificate.

If you do not have a permanent disability but a temporary injury or illness, you are not entitled to receive pedagogical support for disabilities. In such cases, contact your department about the possibility to get support based on your needs.

When you have sent in your application

Once we have received your application you will be contacted by one of the coordinators at Student Health Service. If something is missing in your application, you will get the option to add it.

The coordinator will contact you to talk about your support needs. A condition for your possibility to get the application granted is that you participate in the meeting with the coordinator. After the meeting, the coordinator writes a decision with recommendations on the support you need.

Your application will be rejected if it is not stated in the certificate that you have included in your application that you have a permanent disability.

Page Editor: Annica Höglund

Print page

Contact us

Call 090-786 50 00 or write in our contact form.

Application for renewal of support

If you have been granted support for disabilities before and want to apply for continued support, you use the application form which you access by clicking on the Nais ad on this page.

Related information

If you need support for disabilities for studies at another university, you must make a separate application for that.

On each university's website you can find more information about how to apply for support.